Welcome to the SWESA Latest News page. On this page we will post urgent notifications, program changes, upcoming event reminders, volunteer opportunities, employment opportunities, and other information of interest to SWESA members.
The Documents for the AGM are Posted (posted on April 11, 2021)
CLICK HERE to view the AGM 2021 web page. This page has links to all of the documents that will be presented at the AGM. Please see this page for more information on the AGM and how to register to attend the virtual meeting.
The SWESA General Information Pamphlet is Ready (posted on April 8, 2021)
CLICK HERE to view the new SWESA General Information pamphlet. This pamphlet will be printed and distributed in the community. You can view all of the current SWESA publications on the new Our Publications page.
The SWESA Mother’s Day 50/50 Raffle is now open for online sales (posted on March 18, 2021, updated on April 12, 2021)
The SWESA Mother’s Day 50/50 raffle is open for online ticket sales. The online ticket sales will close on May 8, 2021 at 11:00 and the draw will take place three hours later at 2:00 p.m. As of April 12, 2021, our sales total is now up to $2,096! Think of what you could do with over one thousand dollars!
CLICK HERE to purchase your tickets online from CHARITY 5050 RAFFLE.
Assisted Transportation Available for Older Edmontonians Seeking COVID-19 Vaccines (posted on February 19, 2021)
The folks from Drive Happiness are currently offering door-thru-door transportation services for older Edmontonians who are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine and don’t have access to reliable transportation. For information, call 780-424-5438, or email email@example.com. You can also visit www.drivehappiness.ca.
The latest news on COVID-19 Vaccination (originally posted on February 5, 2021, updated on March 4, 2021)
- CLICK HERE for the Alberta Health Services vaccine information.
- Note: AHS is receiving reports of a phone scam where Albertans over 75 are told they can book their COVID-19 immunizations for a fee. AHS will never ask for payment. Please hang up immediately and report the call to the non-emergency police line at 780-423-4567.
- CLICK HERE for Alberta Blue Cross information on the pharmacies offering vaccine, posted on February 24, 2021.
- The Edmonton Journal newsletter “GroundWork” is written for seniors.
- CLICK HERE for an updated Guide to the Vaccine Rollout, posted on February 24, 2021.
- CLICK HERE for “Countering vaccine hesitancy with honesty, respect and the facts”, posted on February 16, 2021.
- CLICK HERE for “Beginning the week of March 15 those between the ages of 65 and 74 can book vaccine appointments”, posted on March 4, 2021.
- PostMedia (The Edmonton Journal) is taking a survey of seniors 70 plus for their new pilot project on engagement journalism (posted on January 26, 2021).
Edmonton Community Foundation Grant (posted on November 30, 2020)
CLICK HERE to display our Grants page.
Targeted Public Health Measures From The Government Of Alberta (posted on November 25, 2020)
SWESA will remain closed until further notice. As we continue to see unprecedented daily COVID-19 case numbers in our province, Premier Jason Kenney and Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw announced new mandatory public health measures for communities across Alberta. They are listed, at a glance, here. Alberta has declared a state of public health emergency. Unless otherwise stated, the mandatory restrictions are in effect in Edmonton as of November 24 and will be in place for at least three weeks. A comprehensive list is available on alberta.ca.
Message from SWESA president Josie Richardson (posted on October 30, 2020)
Please CLICK HERE to view the message from October 28, 2020.
September 2020 Article in the Riverbend Ragg-Times (posted on September 8, 2020)
A SWESA Volunteer, Colleen Crozier, writes articles about SWESA for publication in local newsletters. Please CLICK HERE to view the September, 2020 article for the Riverbend Ragg-Times and watch for the December 2020 posting. Please CLICK HERE to view past articles.
Photography Volunteer Opportunity (posted on August 28, 2020)
Please CLICK HERE to view the job description for a photography volunteer who will help to maintain and update our online photo gallery. If you are interested in this position or if you have any questions, please contact the SWESA Webmaster, Barry Headrick, at firstname.lastname@example.org